HYM Venice 2020 Notice of Cancellation
Since the outbreak of the crisis in February, cancellation of the Venice 2020 tour has seemed inevitable. However, I felt there was no point in confirming this until flights were officially cancelled. Actually, the decision to cancel would have been made easier if we (and/or Venice) were still in complete lockdown.
News from London in the last few days has been encouraging, and you will have seen photos in the press of cafés reopening in Milan and Venice. However, there remain far too many concerns and these prohibit the tour from going ahead.
It is critical we do all we can to deny a second surge. If one were to take place (either here or in Venice) during tour, our return flights could be jeopardised. If a member of the party were to test positive or even show symptoms, this would endanger the whole group. There is the also prospect of quarantine. All transport must remain for essential users only.
With my contacts in Venice I have discussed specific aspects of the tour (rooms, eating, travelling, rehearsing, concerts) and have concluded that they are all impossible to manage. A study in Germany has recommended wind players need 12 metres of space in front of them and 3 metres to either side! A concert at the Amsterdam Concertgebouw in March left 102 ill (out of the choir of 130) with one fatality and several in intensive care. It is impossible to remove physicality from musical performance.
So, with deep regret, there will be no Venice 2020.
At the moment flights have been cancelled for June, but not those for July. If July flights are cancelled, refunds will be obligated. However, if flights are not cancelled and go ahead, refunds may not be offered. I therefore recommend that if you are offered convenient transfers, you take them.
HYM will refund all money paid to it. Please be patient, this goes well beyond Aideen’s pay grade.
This is desperately disappointing and I hope you all understand.